Welcome To The World Of A Cycling Dad

From Gaming to Paintball to RC Driting to Golfing and finally to Cycling! Never did I thought that I would one day be hooked onto Cycling but here I am and there is no turining back! The roads maybe long, the climbs maybe steep and the downhills maybe deep... but as my RFC captain always says,

"As Long As The Mind Is Willing, The Body Will Follow!"





Sunday, June 20, 2010

White Water Rafting - KKB

White water rafting - ahh, I still remember my 1st time almost 4 years ago like it was yesterday.. this time around I was going with the RFCs.. A nice break from cycling although I have been out for about a month to rest my knee..

Finally the morning came.. the alarm went off at 5am.. I was so tempted to just continue sleeping and cursed that I went out late the night before (dota at CC).. but somehow managed to pry myself from bed and got ready. Mei San picked me up at 6am and we headed to Kah Lyn's place as we were going in his MPV. After a short de-tour to pick up his fren, we headed to the meeting area - Sg Buloh Overhead Restaurant.. When we got there, the rest had already reached - Adam & Joanne, Yong + Wife and Kid, Leeza & Andrew.. we then made our way to the next meeting point - Rawang Toll where Helmi awaited us.. He was wearing a mesh t-shirt and the 1st thing Kah Lyn said was.. "Can see his nipple" .. LOL!!

We departed to KKB and halfway, Helmi sped off like a Bat out of Hell.. whithin minutes, he was nowhere to be seen. Upon reaching KKB town we went to a nearby Chinese Coffee Shop for breakfast. The food was not so good but served its purpose.
We were supposed to meet the guide from Khersonese at 9am and he was late.. on top of that we had to wait for another group as well whom all of them must have bowel problems cos they were in and out of the toilet like a million times!! Adam and Helmi were on the verge of blowing their top already but thankfully we were on our way before that happened.

All except the drivers were dropped of at the waiting area - the drivers had to park their cars at the Khersonese base camp and would be driven back to the waiting area by the guides. It was a long 20 minutes wait. There was quite a big crowd at the waiting area. Half were going with another guide while the other half was with us. While waiting there I noticed one of the rafts was crawling with KERENGGA!! cos it was laid down by a tree infested with it.. Made my skin crawl!! Finally the drivers came back and the safety briefing went underway.. the whole time thru out the briefing, the honey bees were pestering me non stop.. they kept landing onto my arm and leg and I was terrified cos if they stung then thats it for this trip.. so I had to keep moving here and there and waving my arms and pedal like a mad man.. after about 10mins - IT WAS RAFTING TIME!!
The group was split into 2 - Raft 1 : Yong + wife & kid, Adam & Joanne and myself. Raft 2 : Kah Lyn, Helmi, Andrew, Mei San, Leeza and Wendy. In out raft, Joanne was sitting in the front, Adam and myself in the middle, Yong and wife and the back and his son was in the middle of the raft. And then we were on our way. The water level was high today which was a good thing. The 1st section was a nice pedal and then we came to our 1st rapid. We had to wait for others to go 1st and Yong's son had to be carried down river thru the river bank cos it was a bit too dangerous for him.. while waiting Adam and Yong decided to go into the river for a dip.. Not sure if Adam released anything in the river or if Yong felt the water was warm all of a sudden.. LOL.. once the guide came back we were off to tackle the rapids..

The rapids were way better than the last time I was here. With the water level high, we were speeding thru all the rapids... It was damn fun... a few times all of us just fell down inside the raft and there was one time, Yong Jr flew up about 1 meter in the air and with lightning reflexes, Adam and I grabbed him and pulled him down... much to the relief of his parents.
There was a pit stop halfway for us to relax and have a quick bite.. On the menu were apples, cloud9 and some museli bars..




After tackling rapids after rapids, we were finally in the last stretch of the river... everyone got off the raft and floated down stream... Adam dunked me into the river and my butt hit a sharp rock... luckily didn't open another hole or enlarge my current one...
Time stood still at that moment.. just lying down looking up at the clear blue skies, sometimes covered by large over head trees.. Aahhh.. this was the life.. after about 15mins or so we reached the end point.. sigh.. wished I could have continued to float on forever..

We were now at base camp where we dried off and ate lunch.. which was quite good (Kah Lyn will say everything taste good when you are tired and hungry).. we took a shower and then it was the journey back..

photos cortesy of Yong VH

1 comment: