Welcome To The World Of A Cycling Dad

From Gaming to Paintball to RC Driting to Golfing and finally to Cycling! Never did I thought that I would one day be hooked onto Cycling but here I am and there is no turining back! The roads maybe long, the climbs maybe steep and the downhills maybe deep... but as my RFC captain always says,

"As Long As The Mind Is Willing, The Body Will Follow!"





Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Orbea vs Battaglin

Tuesday Night Ride
Like every Tuesday night, there would be cycling. The only difference this time was : Ian had just bought a new bike - Full Carbon Frame Battaglin with Shimano Ultegra GroupSet just 2 days ago. It was time to put his bike to the test.

It was decided that we were to have a mini race between me and him. The race would be split into 2 stages. Stage 1 : MEX highway. Stage 2 : Kesas Highway.

At 8:15pm we were there waiting at Ajimal Mamak. Yong and Kah Lyn couldn't make it for Stage 1 and Paul was late. We started riding about 8:35pm. As we moved out from Sri Petaling towards Carrefour junction and then making our way to the MEX highway turnoff.. Ian sped up the climb.. I followed closely but not pushing so much.. As we reached the top, Ian cursed - "Shit no more gear to change".. I just laughed.. "I told you size 25 gear damn shiok to climb!!" and I rolled off on my size 28 gear..

Not long after that, Adam and Paul took the lead and Ian overtook me. There was also a MTB cyclist who was also damn fast who overtook me as well. I maintained a normal pace and just at the climb towards the rest stop area, once again Ian was struggling to climb it and I overtook him.. soon I was chasing after Adam. Paul was no where to be seen already. After the U-Turn, I pumped a PowerGel and started to chase after Adam.

Everytime I got close to him on a climb, just as I was about to reach him, it was downhill for him already. By the time I reached the peak and started my descent, he was already damn far away... this continued on till we reached the Sri Petaling LRT where Yong and Kah Lyn were already waiting there.

Stage 1 Winner - Terence "LiquidUlar" Lim

Ian came in quite a bit late as he took a detour down to the Carrefour junction. Now it was on to Stage 2. After pushing myself on the MEX, I was damn tired already. On the Kesas I was drafting behind all the rest as usual. The pelaton leader changed every 1 minute or so. When it was Paul's turn to give up the lead, he tried to slot in the middle of the pelaton which nearly caused an accident as the rest had to brake all of a sudden.

It was then that Adam took the lead again and everyone sped off... I followed them and overtook Ian also.. I was just behind the pelaton at each turn. After U-turning at the Summit junction, I could see Ian on the opposite side of the road just about to climb. I concentrated on catching up with the pelaton but as the minutes passed by, my legs started to feel stiff and on the verge of cramping... FUCK!!

I continued cycling at a more relaxed and steady pace to keep the muscle from being too tensed or too relaxed and I knew that either one would cost me to cramp up. As I surveyed the area for a place to fall down, there was none except for the tunnels area and God knows I will not be caught dead resting there!!

Finally Ian caught up with me and I drafted behind him all the way. He was also tired and cramping. Finally the last 100m to the finish point, I wanted to try and push myself to overtake him but my body told me NO!! And so..

Stage 2 Winner - Ian "Smoke Em" Lim

We then headed back to Ajimal for Yum Cha and catch the World Cup as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment