Welcome To The World Of A Cycling Dad

From Gaming to Paintball to RC Driting to Golfing and finally to Cycling! Never did I thought that I would one day be hooked onto Cycling but here I am and there is no turining back! The roads maybe long, the climbs maybe steep and the downhills maybe deep... but as my RFC captain always says,

"As Long As The Mind Is Willing, The Body Will Follow!"





Wednesday, April 14, 2010

60km Night Ride

MEX Highway
Kesas Highway

RFC - Night Ride 13 April 2010 - Session 1 Mex Putrajaya Highway & Session 2 (Kesas USJ Loop) was the email title that flashed on my monitor... tonight's ride is on!!

After work, rushed home just in time to pick up my son from the babysitter, fix milk, pack my stuff and rushed off to meet Adam and Yong at the Sri Petaling mamak. No time for dinner so all I had was 1/3 of a PowerBar.

We started off around 8:15pm... and headed off to MEX Highway. The start of the highway was a curving climb.. not too bad if you had already built up momentum. Thankfully the weather held and it was a nice ride... managed to somehow catch up Adam & Yong sometimes (when the purposely slow down :P). There were 2 parts along the highway where it was totally dark... not sure why... the 1st dark zone was a climb and the other one was during the descent. Thankfully there were cars passing along the highway so we could see whether there were any obstacles on the emergency lane. We managed to reach the Toll in 30mins or so... not bad... now.. it was the ride back...

Just after the toll, there is a turn-off to do a U-turn and it goes down hill and after the U-turn is a climb... Adam & Yong sped down the slope and U-turn so fast they were out of sight in moments... as for me.. well, I tried to go as fast as I can taking the U-turn when just at the mid point, my front tire hit a pebble and bounced!! HOLY SHIT!! I was nearly thrown off balance but managed to somehow control the bike but had already lost all momentum and the climb sucked!!

The way back (to me) felt a lot more difficult... and at this point my right knee was hurting already. I thought I couldn't finish cos the pain was unbearable... I took a PowerGel and continued on... pulling upwards instead of pedalling downwards... this somehow lessen the stress on the knee... by this time Adam & Yong were already about 500m or more in front of me and after 10 more minutes, there were gone... and so I pushed myself as hard as I could and finally saw Bukit Jalil Stadium... I was back!!

I went all the way down to the Carrefour traffic lights (Adam & Yong - took a shortcut and headed straight to Sri Petaling LRT) and it was there at the traffic light that I had my 1st fall... Damnit!! Unclip left foot... tried to land on right foot... result : saw the ground come towards me and *CRASH*... nothing too serious just a few cuts and bruises... After pushing myself up with 1 hand, I pedalled on to the LRT and just as I was about to reach, I saw a bunch of cyclist had already started the ride to Kesas and seeing that Adam & Yong were not among them I went on to the LRT station.

Just as I arrived, Adam, Yong, Danny and Paul were ready to go also... so on we went... *huff* *puff*... it was a fast ride with average speeds of 30+. I was riding in behind Adam, and as I passed the 1st bump, I heard another *thud* behind me... I thought cannot be la... must be my imagination, and then i dropped gear and i heard the sounds of another gear dropping just behind me.. Thats when I looked at the ground and saw a shadow of a cyclist right behind me... HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK!! I pedalled super fast, just then the shadow overtook me and turned out to be a HUMAN cyclist... Thank God!!

This dude was fast and as he made his way up the group, the rest followed and I was left behind... With no more water, PowerGel and knee hurting it was a difficult to keep up but managed somehow to just come in behind them about 2minutes late. After a breather, we continued on... this time I was too tired to push anymore... and so went at a slower pace but at least I manged to increase my Avg Speed and didn't have to let the guys wait that long...

A few more rounds like this and I think I might just be able to keep the pace with these guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment