Welcome To The World Of A Cycling Dad

From Gaming to Paintball to RC Driting to Golfing and finally to Cycling! Never did I thought that I would one day be hooked onto Cycling but here I am and there is no turining back! The roads maybe long, the climbs maybe steep and the downhills maybe deep... but as my RFC captain always says,

"As Long As The Mind Is Willing, The Body Will Follow!"





Monday, April 5, 2010

FRASER'S HILL CLIMB part 2

..as Patrick and I rode past the guard house, we were greeted by a single lane road, with trees on all sides, the canopy was thick, weather was cold and the REAL CLIMB started!! All 9km of it!!

It was switch back after switch back, and with each one was an even steeper climb... The gel kicked in 5minutes and I left Patrick behind... trying to make the most out of the gel, I pushed on eagerly... I kept remembering what Adam and Danny said, "The 1st 3km is the killer.. after that it is easy!!" I looked at my cyclo-com and it was 4km already... and it was not getting any easier!! At the 5km mark, Jo-Ann sped drove alongside me asking "OK?" All I could reply was with a weak show of 'thumbs up'... 20metres further I dismounted and started to push for a bit and then Steven Loh drove up beside me "Ok mou? Want to pull you up?" I was so tempted but decided against it and showed another weak show of 'thumbs up' and gestured him to go on.

1 minute later, I regretted not taking up his offer... I soldiered on and was way past my limit cos I knew I had hit a wall already. Legs were heavy and no strength left. I met a lorry just 3km from the peak and asked "Boleh tolong hantar naik ka?" "Sorry boss, kena kerja sini"... head hung low I pedalled on... The last 2.5km was a real nerve wrecker for me... it was so close yet felt so far away... I reseted the com and all I could do was concentrate on my cyclo-com showing 0.1, 0.2, 0.3...1.0....1.2 *CRAMPED* shit!! My calf was on the verge of cramping!! 1.4...1.5.... come on Terence!! You can do it!! I told myself.. 2.0...2.1.....2.2..... and FINALLY I saw the gate!! (not the pearly white gates)...

A sense of relief washed over me as I cycled past the guard house


and looked for the gang... Finally saw them past the ClockTower!! WOOHOOOO!! I MADE IT UP!!

Adam passed me a 100plus to drink and then I cramped.. LOL!!

Everyone was taking a breather, relaxing, phototaking and stuff... Steven Loh was there with his family and he brought some drinks and food for us


as the "American Breakfast" stall had moved further in... Apple was the next to reach


followed by Ian (apparently the drop in speed earlier on was because his saddle height was too low from offroad previously),
Patrick and finally Ari!!

Allan had a puncture on the way up and was pushing his bike up!!
We took a group photo at the Clock Tower

and then decsended! This was my most scary part for me. Helmi lead the way and was soon out of my sight. Kah Lyn and Adam zoomed past me shouting "LET GO OFF THE BRAKES la!!" I turned a deaf ear and then the rest sped past me and soon I was the last one behind. I took my time down and then came accross Kah Lyn who was pulling branches out of his Bike. He had a puncture and crashed. Further in front was another crash.. it was Adam!! It was then that I slowed down 1 more notch!!

Within a matter of minutes, they road past me again... and then I came upon Khoo who had a puncture. Yong and Danny were helping him out and I stopped to borrow my leg pump.. and chatted with Danny.. and the quote of the day came as I told him..

"My Uphill Top Speed is Higher Than My Downhill Speed"

He stared at me with blank expression...

The rest of the way a slow and easy ride for me until I was nearly runned over at a hairpin left turn. A waja was coming at me head on and somehow I managed to avoid him... it was then that it dawned to me... it was past 10am... traffic was coming up... Apple, Ari and I pushed the last 1km down to the Gap where the others were waiting at the mamak for lunch.

Then we fully saw how bad Adam & Kah Lyn's injury were...

I thought to myself... I need better brake pads!! After lunch and waiting for Jo-Ann to drive down, we continued our deccent to KKB. The sun was up already and it was getting hotter and hotter.

Finally back at the KKB town at 2pm. I was the 2nd last one to reach as usual... and sat down and drank 2 bowls of Ais Kacang... while the rest had Asam Laksa too... We chit chatted for a while and then it was time to say good bye... to go home and rejuvenate and wait for the next climb!!

NEXT WEEK... ULU YAM CLIMB!!

1 comment:

  1. AND it still bloody hurts 1 week after the ride :)

    ReplyDelete