Welcome To The World Of A Cycling Dad

From Gaming to Paintball to RC Driting to Golfing and finally to Cycling! Never did I thought that I would one day be hooked onto Cycling but here I am and there is no turining back! The roads maybe long, the climbs maybe steep and the downhills maybe deep... but as my RFC captain always says,

"As Long As The Mind Is Willing, The Body Will Follow!"





Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Finally...30km/h Average!!

6pm - The usual Tuesday night ride was on. MEX highway and Kesas Loop. But due to my injury, I will be skipping the MEX highway ride as it would have put too much of a strain on my knee. Ian confirmed he was coming as well and before we left the office he said "If I don't smoke you tonight, I will change to a Road Bike"... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

9:30pm - Reached the Sri Petaling LRT just in time as the gang road off. Ian pushed from the start and was way ahead. I was last as usual, taking my time as I road into the bike lane and then *CRASH*... someone just ahead of me had crashed! It was Thomas... I stopped to ask the famous question "ARE YOU OK?"...

He had some cut and bruises on his right side but his bike was in worst condition. The shifters were out of alignment. The brakes were not working. The alignment between the handle bar and wheel was out. "I am going back... can't continue" he said. And after telling him how to go back to the mamak, he was off and then I realised as I looked at the road ahead.. "DAMN!! I am alone again!!"

I pushed myself as hard as I could. Just enough so as to not aggrivate the tendon but managed to maintain a 30++ average speed. The suck part about riding alone in Kesas Highway at night is having to go thru the tunnels alone!! Nearing the last toll along Kesas, I finally came up upon 3 MTBs from the Tat Seng group and overtook them and met with the others at the Bus Stop on the opposite side of the highway.

Now it was time for the ride back. I had barely 5mins to take my breath and we were off. Ian was leading in front. I drop 1 gear at a time and overtook Paul and then drafted behind Ian for a short while and then decided to go for it... Picked up to 45kmh and SMOOOKED him... hahaha... without looking back, I pushed on as far as I could but finally about after 500m, I tired out and then 1 by 1, Paul, Yong, Danny and Adam overtook me and started to leave me further and further behind.

Even so I pushed on... constantly looking at the cyclo meter... everytime it dropped below 30kmh, I would push and pull the pedal to bring it back up... and finally I reached the end of the ride. Immediately as I stopped, I took a look at the meter... AVG SPEED = 30kmh!! WOHOOOO!!!! MY TARGET HAS BEEN ACHIEVED!!!!

Looking back at the 1st time I road Kesas Highway, the avg speed was barely 20kmh, then it slowly picked up with each training.. 22, 24, 27 and now finally 30!!

Ian reached a few minutes later and I would not let him forget what he said to me early in the evening.. now lets hope he keeps to his word and gets his TREK MADONE 4.5

Later at the mamak, a stupid couple knocked Danny and Yong's bike causing it to fall slightly and had the nerve not to say sorry... but said that we should have parked the bike there... Bastards!! Thank god for them, it was crowded there at the mamak... if not...

4 comments: